Clapham Trivia

Clapham Trivia & History

Did you know that Clapham Junction is Europe’s busiest train station, with over 2000 trains passing through every day?

Clapham North tube station and Clapham Common tube station both opened in June 1900 as part of an extension of the City & South London Railway.

Wealthy local businessmen and religious philanthropists of the “Clapham Sect” were instrumental in the campaigns that led to the outlawing of the Atlantic slave trade in 1807.

Clapham Rovers football club won the FA Cup in 1880…!

Clapham began as a Saxon village. Its name was originally clopp ham, which meant the village (ham) by the short hill (clopp). In the Domesday Book Clapham was called Clopeham.

Clapham’s first suburban residents were attracted to the area by its easy access to London by stage coach (started in 1690), the clean air and water and, later, by the momentum brought to development by the enclosure of the common in the 1770s. Clapham’s earliest settlers arrived to escape London’s fire and pestilence of the 1660s and the village was given prestige by the residence of Samuel Pepys, diarist and naval administrator, from 1700 until his death three years later.

Clapham Junction gets its name from the simple fact that it is close to the joining point of a number of major rail lines — although the name is not shared by any junction near the station. The names of the nearby rail junctions are Falcon Junction, Ludgate GW Junction, Latchmere Junction, West London Junction and Pouparts Junction. The insertion of the name Clapham in an area known as Battersea has caused much confusion over the years. There is now a sign above Clapham Junction stating : ‘in the heart of Battersea’. It was originally called Clapham Junction as Clapham was seen as a nicer area than Battersea.